Iomega Takes NAS Wireless
September 20, 2004
Iomega strives to make storage cheaper and more flexible for SMBs by offering a wireless NAS box.
Iomega designed the product for small businesses and larger companies with workgroups and remote branch offices. If you need extra storage on a network, Iomega's got its eye on you. "This network storage device is easy to install and manage, " says Wayne Arvid son, Iomega's director of professional storage solutions. "And we designed it for companies with a small budget."
The NAS 100d's wireless capability gives SMB's more flexibility in terms of how to use and where to place the storage. You can use the device in two ways, as an access point or as a client.
- Access Point In this situation, you physically connect the NAS 100d to your network using the device's 10/100 Fast Ethernet port. It now acts as a hot spot that your employees can access with their wireless devices.
- Client This option gives you a lot of flexibility on where you store the NAS 100d. As a client or wireless node the 100D doesn't need any cables at all. It communicates with the network server using its Wi-Fi capability.
Two USB 2.0 ports at the back of the box let you plug in up to two external storage devices. According to Iomega, you can use any external USB drive. "We built the 100d with a standard file system," says Arvidson. "That means you don't have to reformat the external drive if it already has data on it unlike our competitors who offer similar solutions."
The device comes with Iomega's Automatic Backup software that supports networked PCs. Basically you choose the files and folders you want backed up and that's it the software, not you, initiates the back up process.
|Iomega's wireless 100d NAS box is flexible: use it as a wireless access point or as a wireless client.|
- Available in 160GB or 250GB capacities
- 802.11g wireless support
- Two USB 2.0 Ports
- UPnP (universal plug-and-play), Web-based configuration
- Compatible with Windows, Macintosh, and Linux
- Automatic backup capability
- Quiet operation
Pricing, Availability and Warranty
- NAS 100d 160GB Server; shipping September 20 $499
- NAS 100d 250GB Server Shipping September 26 $599
- Warranty Two years
- Extended Warranty $179
Lauren Simonds is the managing editor of SmallBusinessComputing.com
|Do you have a comment or question about this article or other small business topics in general? Speak out in the SmallBusinessComputing.com Forums. Join the discussion today!|